Pages

  • Foody Love
  • Crafty Love
  • Press Love
  • Friday I'm in Love
  • Carlisle Love

28 May 2014

Potted Porridge

Trying to get a healthy breakfast in the morning is quite a struggle for me, having to get 2 kids, Husband and myself dressed, fed and out the house by 8.10 every morning quite often means it's the thing I forget to do. As part of my healthier lifestyle I'm trying to follow the Curves Complete eating plan, but I find it such a struggle to eat protein in the morning when I normally grab toast to take with me on the school run. 
Potted porridge is my way round this (it's not strictly to plan but healthy) I add protein powder to mine to give me fuel for the day, and it works I make it through the morning with energy to spare. 
Some people use greek yogurt instead of milk but I find the taste quite sour, really it's something you have to try with different combinations to find your favourite. My recipe serves two (my Daughter likes to share) or one if really hungry, and although I leave overnight is actually ready in 2-3 hours if you can't wait.
Recipe for potted porridge a great high energy breakfast
Ingredients for base(2 servings): 1/2 cup of oats I use Quaker Oats
                                                 1 cup Lactose free milk (Almond milk tastes lovely too)
                                                 Tablespoon of Agave Nectar(for sweetness)
                                                 Pinch of cinnamon 
                                                 Scoop of protein powder(optional)

To make: Mix all ingredients in pot and leave in the fridge for 2-3 hours (or overnight) while oats soak up the super goodness and plump up. You can also mix to the base a small chopped up apple, banana, raisins, almonds, chia seeds, chopped dates etc 
I like to top it with nuts and berries, but think it would be great with some rhubarb compote and ginger instead of cinnamon in the base. 
The possibilities are endless, and it's lovely to offer the children something different for their breakfast, although I'm not sure they need more energy during the school holidays. 

                       Recipe for potted porridge a great high energy breakfast
Thanks for reading, if you try my recipe or have any questions feel free to tell me about them in the comments, let me know how it went and what toppings you used. 
                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...